Monday, 29 July 2013

Art books

So one thing I love to do, is look for books (specifically ones with a lot of pictures haha) on artists thats I like. I would love to say my book collection is extensive, however its really not (books are expensive!) but the few that I do own, I really love to sit and look through when I find myself wanting inspiration or motivation.

I really want to grow my book collection because I find they really do help me, but heres some of the ones I already own, they really are a great source for research and inspiration.


Book title: Mexican Graphics
by korero books (text by Antoni Cadafalch and general editor Dr. Alderete)

I orginally bought this book after getting a brief to design some characters (one of those characters was a wrestler) and I found it helped me in my research towards my design. But another reason that swayed me to buying this book was that it was full of fun and creative day of the dead designs. As you know, skulls are a love of mine and making them even prettier with lovely designs and patterns only attracts me to this book more. 


Book title: Illustration Now 
by taschen book (editor Julius Wiedemann)

I purchased this book at the Tate modern gallery in london. I really love illustration (hence why I'm doing a degree in it) so I thought I would pick this book up for future reference, its full of loads of interesting illustrators so really good for research and ideas.



Book title: Dark Inspiration 
edited and published by viction:ary

This was another purchase from the Tate modern also. I'll be honest when looking around at the many many books there, I found it hard to find ones that really stood out to me to buy (I wanted them all but I'm not that rich) UNTIL... I found this gem hiding away, and I am so glad that I did find it! 
What really drew me to this book was the name. I summed up the kind of work that I love so simply, and the cover also blew me away to be honest. 
But then when I looked through it I came across one of my favourite artist. BEST FIND EVER! It simply made my week and its been one of my favourite books ever since.

Book title: Art by tattooists 
by jo waterhouse published by Laurence king publishing

As I've mentioned, I love tattoo art, its a big inspiration to me, so when i came across this book I got quite excited. I find it really interesting to see what tattoo artists do on a different surface than skin, with their own ideas and without the pressure of perfection (knowing its on a customers skin forever). I really enjoyed looking through this book and theres some great images in it.



Book title: Femina & Fauna: The art of Camilla D'errico
by dark horse books 

Camilla D'errico is one of my favourite artists so when I saw this book, I took the opportunity to get it so that I have a physical copy of some of her portfolio, which is great because I don't have to constantly go on the internet to see her work. This book is truly beautiful and really shows off her work and style in such a fitting way and shows an insight into how she creates what she does. 



Book title: The book of skulls
by Faye Dowling published by Laurence King publishing

I don't think there's much explanation needed as to why I purchased this book. The answer to that is in the title of the book alone, and if you read my last few posts you'll know why that is haha. This book is pretty awesome, it has everything I love and is a great way of showing how one object (or subject if you like) can be used in so many different ways. I really love this book, its so creative and inspiring, showing there is always a different way of working with one subject. 

So those are a few of the books I've collected over the past year or so. I really want to get some more so I had better start saving some pennies. Hope you enjoyed those :) 

Also today, my laptop was playing up a bit and decided to just open up some of my bookmarks, but it reminded me of this glorious website http://theinspirationgrid.com/ so I will leave you guys with that :) ENJOY!


No comments:

Post a Comment