Friday, 2 August 2013

Artist styles

So one thing we have been asked to do for our summer project, is to incorporate other artists styles into our own character designs. 
So today I did a small study of Mavis (from the animated film Hotel Transylvania) in the style of Karl Kwasny. Luckily for me, he had already posted a small tutorial on his tumblr page of how he does his work step by step, which was pretty handy when it came to doing my own study. 


This was my first attempt at creating anything like his work and the image lighting isn't the best so don't judge me too harshly, I will never be able to create work in his style to his ability but this was a fun little piece to do and i did enjoy his way of working.


When reading up about his work I also learnt that he often goes into photoshop and plays around the image in there too, I haven't done that here so it isn't quite as polished.

Close up of step 3.

Close up of step 4.

I was quite happy with the outcome (from the piece in person, not so much with the photgraphs) and I really enjoyed working in his style. I used pencil for the original sketch and then watercolour paint for the rest of the image. 
I really want to practice working in that kind of style because I feel this could have been a lot better, but for a first try... it will do :) 

Hope you liked it,


No comments:

Post a Comment