Tuesday, 27 August 2013

Book covering

Since having to find a place to put all my belongings after moving home for the summer I had a bit of a clear out in my room, and found a few old tops I never wore, but I didn't want to waste them and just throw them away so I decided to cover some boring note books that I had lying around and make them look a bit prettier. 


I really liked how these came out and they were so simple to make!

What I used:
PVA glue (which held perfectly well)
Scissors
Old paint brush (to spread the pva)
Card
Old fabric
Note book

How I did it:







Step 1: Choose an old top/tshirt/fabric that you no longer want. Be really sure that you dont want it though, once you've cut it theres no going back!












Step 2: Place the book over the fabric and cut roughly an inch or two around it (its always better to more fabric than needed just in case you go wrong). Also make sure you only cut through one layer of fabric.





Step 3: Place pva clue onto the cover of your book and spread it around with an old paint brush. (Make sure your cover is too thin of the pva will warp the cover page, if it is make it a bit stronger by sticking thicker card down first.) Then place your fabric over the top and smooth it out, be sure to leave fabric over the edge.



Step 4: Turn the cover of the book over and place pva glue on the edges of the inside cover. Then fold the excess fabric over and stick down. Don't worry if its not overly neat, it will be covered later. To ensure that it was stuck down strongly I placed another layer of pva over the edge of the fabric that had been stuck down.




Step 5: Once step 4 has dried, turn your cover over again. The seem down the edge of my book was a bit rough so to make it nice and neat I took one of the ties from my top and layed it over it. I then stuck it down opened my book and stuck the excess down on the inside cover too, basically repeating steps 3 and 4.





Step 6: To make the inside cover look neat I simply cut a piece of card to size and stuck it on top. This hides all the excess fabric underneath and was really quick and simple to do.








Step 7: I repeated these steps on the back cover of the book too. Then added some small buttons to the corner of the front cover as small decoration. I stuck them down using pva glue which seemed to hold them fine. Ideally I would have used a hot glue gun but I didnt have one to hand. 




That was how I created both my books, it was very simple and easy to do and a fun little project that made good use of some cute tops. It also left me with spare fabric from those tops that I can use again in the future.
 I really liked how these books came out and I think they would make cute little hand made presents if you were shopping on a budget. I used stuff from around the house and only bought the note books which were pretty cheap anyways.

Hope you liked it :)




No comments:

Post a Comment